24 September 2008

I was walking down the aisle, looking for a treat to take home to my good "kittens". [aka siblings] Standing in front of me was a pretty young woman, with a cute toddler sitting in her cart. I was smiling at the child, and glanced up at the mother, in time to see her turn her head and sob. Trying to speak softly, I heard her crying to whomever was on the other end of her phone. "But that's just it... I mean... How can I trust you anymore?" The despair and plain sadness in her voice made my heart ache. I desperately wanted to hug her. I didn't. I picked out one of each kind of fruit leather. Lingered for a few moments, pretending I was looking for something else. And then walked away.
Because, after all, she obviously didn't want to be disturbed. [are you sure?] And it obviously was a very personal matter. [does sympathy require all the details?]
I am glad that Jesus knows her name.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

almost the exact same thing happened to me last year in Taipei.

I was on the crammed MRT and a lady standing right next to me was in her phone, crying.

I wanted so much to give her a hug, or tell her something.

But I didn't.